Stay-at-home mama enjoying every changing moment with our lil guy!

Friday, January 6, 2012

37 weeks pregnant with stomach flu = worst night EVER

Yesterday started out like any other day. I got a bunch of stuff done in the morning and made a soup since a college friend of mine was stopping over for lunch. We've had contractors here all week so I took advantage of the lull of quietness from 9:30-10:30 and took a nap myself. When I woke, I just didn't feel right - I was SO nauseous (which has been happening a lot lately). I hopped in the shower while Henry continued to nap and that seemed to have helped a little.

Alex came over around noon and we enjoyed catching up all while playing with the busy lil guy. She bought him a new toy for Christmas and he was in Heaven - it's the Vtech vacuum that picks up blocks. Alex left around 2:30pm, I put Henry down and I sat on the couch for a little bit since I still wasn't feeling right.

He woke up, we played like normal and around dinner time he started getting pretty fussy. I was blaming it on his last 1st molar that is still bruised and waiting to pop through his gum. Crazy part was, I made him pasta for dinner and he wouldn't eat ANYTHING. Now Henry is my big eater and never lets any food go to waste (unless my parents dog is here!). I made him some soft food like rice cereal, a banana and yogurt and he ate some. At 6:40pm I took him upstairs, gave him a little Tylenol and tried giving him his milk. He would take any of it! His nighttime milk is something I'm trying to get rid of so I was talking with daddy and said maybe he's ready to nix it too. He was screaming - so around 7:15pm I went up and cuddled with him for a bit and he was out. I was exhausted so I decided to call it a night around 8pm and had planned on reading.

As soon as I got into bed, I heard a scream from his room - it was different this time. I quickly went into his room and he had thrown up EVERYWHERE...I mean everywhere. I changed him, the linens, washed the walls and his crib and did a load of laundry. By the time I got him back to sleep it was 10 after 9. I came back into our room and decided to turn out the lights since it was most likely going to be a LONG night. Around 9:30pm I didn't feel too well, went to the bathroom and got sick. I was up every 10 minutes throwing up last night and it didn't ease at all until 8 this morning. It was the worst feeling ever! Henry was still in Atlanta, I was scared that it would hurt the baby and so on. I called my doc around 2am and the on call doc just said to keep sipping gatorade - which I was doing but NOTHING would stay down. Luckily Henry only had his 1 occurence. He did wake up once in the middle of the night but put himself back to sleep.

I called Henry at 1:15 am and he booked the first flight out of Atlanta and has been home all day, nursing me back to health.

It's now 10 after 5 and all I've had to eat all day is 1 saltine and 1 pretzel. My back is killing me and my legs ache. Luckily we had a babysitter lined up so that I could run errands - and she's been a lifesaver today. I've tried to nap, however the guys have been upstairs on the 3rd floor drywalling - important part: Henry napped right through all the banging.

I would NEVER wish this upon anyone else, and being 37 weeks pregnant has only made it worse. My abs are KILLING me.


  1. Oh Tara, you poor thing! I can't imagine what it's like to have the flu while pregnant since it's normally not fun. I hope you're feeling better ... and Henry too.

  2. Oh no! I hope you get to feeling better soon : ) We too just had a round of the stomach flu here. Not fun! I can't imagine having it and being pregnant at the same time!