Stay-at-home mama enjoying every changing moment with our lil guy!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A little (non-baby) venting...

So I really can't complain about my work situation too much, however I'm going to for just a little bit :) So to keep my job at CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia) I am doing Per Diem and I only have to work a minimum of 24 hours every quarter or 3 months. Nothing to complain about right?!?! Well I have to disagree for just this instance! I love, love, love my job, but not doing it too often really gets me nervous when I do go in. We are currently in one of our busiest times at the hospital and are actually at a historical high for census and acuity...meaning there are a lot of patients and they are VERY sick!! It's so bad that in order to get us to do overtime, they aren't just paying us time and a half, they're paying us an extra $40+/hour....how can one say NO to this?
Well the quarter ends April 2nd, which means I am doing a shift this coming Saturday. The hardest part is that I miss seeing Henry for the entire day...and daddy for most of the day. I have to get up at 4 am, leave by 5 am and I usually don't get home until 8:30 or 9 pm...now that's a long day!! It's also hard since big Henry has been traveling so much that the weekends are when we get to catch up...lucky for me he's been home this entire week so it kind of makes up for it!!
I'm super nervous to go into work since I haven't been there since January when we went to a whole new computer system...which only adds to the stress of a normal day on the floor. I usually have what seem to be ulcers flaring up in my tummy before I find out my assignment for the day. The floor I work on is where all the critical patients come from all over the region and world and we see EVERYTHING there. On our floor you really do come to work to save lives and we are are on a 1:1 ratio with our patients. I've only had to do CPR a couple of times, however when you're prego you're not allowed to do it...it could cause you to go into labor...so let's just say it's been awhile since I've done it!! Side-note: We're not even allowed to go to the bathroom without getting one of the extra nurses on the floor to watch your patient for that 3 minutes....so imagine what a 12-13 hour day for a prego nurse is like...now that was hard!
The great thing about work is that I love all the people I work with and I actually graduated college with a bunch of them!! It is definitely a rewarding job and I wouldn't want it any other way! It keeps my brain a going...that's for sure!

Ok...I feel a lot better...whew!


1 comment:

  1. WOW - I could never do what you do, Tara! What an amazing and rewarding job you have. Those patients are lucky to have such a caring and compassionate person watching over them. You'll be great :)

    ReplyDelete