Stay-at-home mama enjoying every changing moment with our lil guy!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

A day in the life of a mama with 2 kiddos under 2...

As I sit here relaxing in silence, I reflect back on my day. I love the life I have and wouldn't want it any other way. I never thought it would be easy, and I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the best for our boys. We definitely have our good times and bad, many more good than bad. Henry is getting so much better with Thomas and Thomas is getting so much bigger and is able to interact so much more.

A typical Thursday...

5:40 am - Thomas wakes up, I change him, nurse him, burp him and put him back to bed (all within 15 minutes)

6:30 am - Henry starts to stir. He plays in his crib for awhile, I watch him on the monitor for a few minutes before I go and get him. We pick out his clothes for the day, brush his teeth and head downstairs to play. Henry helps me make coffee while his milk warms up.

7:00 am - Henry drinks his milk in 'his' chair while I put on some cartoons (I know - bad mommy but it works) I run upstairs and get a little ready so I don't look too disheveled when I drop Henry off at school. Thomas starts to stir so I go over to get him out of the cradle. Best moment of the day - his smile when he sees mommy!!

7:30 am - Feed Henry breakfast (banana and oatmeal). While he eats that I make his lunch for school (turkey, spinach and cheese wrap, yogurt, strawberries)

7:50 am - Nurse Thomas before we leave while Henry runs around and plays for a little bit.

8:00 am - Dress Henry and get the boys ready to leave. I put Henry in the car first, come back in and grab Thomas along with Henry's school bag. Do a double check to make sure I'm not forgetting anything and off we go!

8:20 am- Drop Henry off at school (luckily his school is only 3 1/2 minutes away from our house!) I carry Henry's bag, Thomas in carseat and carry Henry up to school (there are too many cars at that time to let Henry walk) It's definitely a challenge, especially with Thomas getting bigger, but that constitutes my arm workout for the day :)

8:45 am - Arrive at grocery store. We ran out of coffee creamer (sort of an emergency for me!) and bananas and such. It's a quick trip and we're in and out within 20 minutes

9:15 am - We arrive back home and enjoy some tummy time together. Thomas and I play for awhile until he gets tired

9:45 am - I nurse Thomas - Thomas falls asleep, I put him in his swing with monitor on him. I go downstairs to do a 3 mile run.

10:15 am- Thomas is still asleep so I go and take a shower - this part of the day can be a challenge with 2 kiddos, but 99% of the time I'm able to conquer a shower

11:00 am - Thomas wakes up, I'm finished getting ready, so we just play and laugh together

12:05 pm - I nurse Thomas before heading to school to pick of Henry. I pack Thomas up in the carseat, put him in car and we're off to get brother

12:25 pm - We arrive at school to get Henry - he's always so excited to see us

12:50 pm - I give Henry his milk before nap and he just relaxes for a little bit. I quickly make my usual lunch - turkey, spinach and cheese wrap

1:00 pm - I take Henry upstairs, kiss him and put him in his crib - he's out within minutes. While Henry naps, Thomas and I get some more one on one time. He's tired...

2:00 pm - I nurse Thomas and he falls asleep. I read my book and just kick back for a little bit

3:00pm - Henry starts to stir. I go upstairs to get my bugaboo and we come downstairs. He's asking for a snack so we get an apple out of the refrigerator and his water and sit in the living room together.

We play trucks for a long while - he's obsessed with them and the action figures my mom found this past weekend. It's funny to see the action figures (like super heros) driving his tractors

4:00 - Thomas wakes up and wants to eat. I feed him and promise Henry that we'll go outside - he's obsessed with both the word and the place. I burp Thomas and he spits up a little on me, I quickly go upstairs to change and come back down to pack the boys up for walk. I put Thomas in his carseat and he decides to spit up again, only this time a lot more. It's all over the his clothes and the carseat itself. Great... So I go upstairs again to grab a new outfit for him and come back down to change all his clothes. All this time, Henry is being VERY patient! I get him dressed, put a blanket in the carseat after I wiped it out, and put him back in it.

4:30 pm - Both boys are in stroller and off we go on our walk. The loop in our neighborhood is 1 mile with a killer hill halfway though. Since we now have the double stroller, Henry, carseat and Thomas it weighs approx 60 lbs fully loaded. Now that's a killer workout...

4:50 pm - We arrive back home (Henry only lasts so long in the stroller and today he wanted to run!!) I let him play (in the dirt - hey it's bath night and boys will be boys) He played in this same spot with his garden tools from my mom for 25 straight minutes - WOW!!

5:15 pm - We go inside, scrub our hands and start preparing our glorious dinner of grilled cheeses. Daddy's out of town all week and it it National Grilled Cheese day, so we had to honor it, especially since Henry LOVES them. He really enjoys helping me make them, he butters the bread for me...sort of!

5:30 pm - We eat dinner together while Thomas sleeps (he fell asleep on walk)

6:00 pm - Thomas starts to fuss so I feed him and take him upstairs to bed - he's out by 6:15

6:30 pm - Give Henry a bath. It was nice to actually play with him instead of hurry through the bath. It's usually Thomas' fussy time but since he's asleep we're able to blow bubbles and splash away!

6:50 pm - Henry picks his books out, I start to read them and only get through one before he said 'all done' and 'light off.' He helps me turn his light off and by 6:55 pm he's in bed

7:00 pm - I go and check on Thomas - he's out. I wash my face and go downstairs to catch up on bills and stuff. I eat a snack and put on some t.v. I honestly don't really enjoy watching t.v. but it's sometimes nice just to have background noise

8:00 pm - And here I am finishing this blog. After this I too will be in bed awaiting yet another busy day tomorrow. It's suppose to be beautiful and daddy comes home - YAY!!! We're looking forward to the weekend - it's suppose to be in the 80s!


1 comment:

  1. Wow Tara you are a busy woman!! I am impressed that you can sneak a jog in the middle of the day with all you have going on. Loved hearing about a typical day of eating for Henry too! He sounds like he eats a lot like Lauren. If we could just get her to drink her milk all would be good in our little world : ) Loved Thomas'morning look from his cradle.